Friday, October 9, 2015

McDon't - A Hearty Breakfast on the Go and Other Menu Ideas

Breakfast burritos or a stop at McDonalds for a Bacon Egg and Cheese Biscuit was the way I used to go when I was in a hurry and needed a hearty breakfast. But after adding up the fat and calories in those choices I needed a better substitution for those days I wanted a hearty breakfast, even on telework days.

Plus after reviewing the nutritional info for most fast food I'm becoming of the opinion that the only creatures that should eat food tossed out of a window at them are seagulls.
Start with a thin cut bagel.  Either get uncut bagels and cut them into thirds (cheaper) or buy the ready-made thinner ones.  In this case rather that fill it full of cheese and meats, I sauteed a chunk of onion and scrambled an egg in it while the bread toasted.  It was topped with just a drizzle of salsa, a tablespoon of non-dairy cheese and a dollop of vegan sour substitute and eaten with a knife and fork. With the onions already cut and in a little container in the fridge it took me five minutes to make.

Tasty AND filling and I didn't spend the morning  feeling like I had a boat anchor in my stomach.

Lunch was a fruit slushie (like a smoothie but you can eat it with a spoon)

1 cup water
1 cup ice
1 3/4 cup frozen mixed berries
1/2 banana
1 cup baby spinach.

Remember how I said yesterday to put the ice on the botttom?  I forgot today and it took a lot longer plus beating it down with a spoon to get it to incorporate.  The order of ingredients is key. Ice on the bottom and green on the very top.
Houston - we have a problem

Doesn't this look yummy. And you can't really taste the spinach in it.

Since lunch was light on protein - afternoon snacks were a few raisins and a handful of almonds. You can also easily add a protein powder to your smoothies.

Dinner was a stir-fry (no photo - it was late).  All in all, a good day of eating.

5 comments:

  1. OMG, that pizza looks so good! And now I am thinking about breakfast burritos. Nope, not gonna falter. I'm on a roll and you can be on a roll too. BTW hubby ate 8 (that is NOT a typo) apple fritters in 2 days and didn't gain any weight! How unfair is that? Your slushie looks good. Did it taste as good as it looked? Good tip on the ice but if I have slushies (smoothies) my mouth gets addicted to the frozen feeling. OK, carry on, we're all in this together. BTW, you got a Fitbit or anything?

    C

    ReplyDelete
  2. McDont. Lmao! Seriously. That stuff will
    Kill you!!
    But I do like Taco Bell tho. :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hari om
    That's the way, a bit at a time...
    eyes-on... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ma can't live without her oatmeal in the morning...with sugar! That's right! SUGAR! BOL she figures everything balances out..yeah, right! Ma likes to make pizza with flat bread pizza sauce, cheese, and turkey pepperoni! it's delish! Oh, and she hates greek yogurt, so she uses the Daisy light sour cream..nothing weird in it! they just use some milk instead of the cream! and it's delicious!
    Anyhu, Ma is terrible at diets because she obsesses about food when she's on one! So, she just tries to exercise more...which is hard since she can't take me for long walkies!!! pfffffft!
    Oh, and Ma says she remembers those Zotz!! OMD, they are FABulous!! now, Ma substitutes Sugar Free Luden's Wild Cherry when she needs some flavor without the added sugar....still..not the same! ☺
    Good luck! And Ma is rooting for you!!! and Abby and Me will be waiting for some pizza bones....
    Kisses,
    Ruby ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to see you back again. Yes, I did the same thing as far as getting rid of the bad stuff. My theory is...if you don't want to eat it then don't buy it. So we have no good junk in our house.
    Your bagel look delicious. I have a real weakness for bagels...I need a ton of cream cheese or I load them up with so much meats etc and I could eat 2 or 3 of them.... So bagels are one of those things that I cant buy.
    When we have pizza I usually eat 2 pieces and I use small plates too. True...seems like we are eating more!!!
    Keep up the good work.

    Diana

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Having been fortunate enough not to have to diet as a young woman - hitting middle age to find my Metabolism moved to Aruba and didn't even send a postcard was a rude awakening. Thanks for sharing the fun and the pain of getting back in shape. Note: If you are a stranger and include a link in your comment - it will not be posted, to ensure no SPAM or viruses are shared. Any link I post is tested first.