Saturday, December 17, 2016

My Mom's Swedish Pancakes (Gluten free/Low Carb)

There was a morning this week, where after a bachelor dinner while my husband was traveling for wotk (I ate most of the box of KD), I wanted a light breakfast.

Since it's the Christmas season in my home, I wanted Swedish pancakes, using the recipe my half Swedish/half Norwegian Mom made (her parents were both immigrants at the turn of last century)

But my Mom's were a little different than most you see on a restaurant menu, as, although thin, they were made with extra eggs and much less flour, making them almost like a cross between a crepe and thin omelet.  Served with just lingonberry jam, they are truly delicious, light and delicate with a rich taste that pairs perfectly with fruit or jams. These were made with King Author's gluten free flour, so the whole dish was gluten free and low carb.

Mom's Swedish Pancake

Serves 1 as a main course or 2 if you are nice and share with your spouse or partner.  My husband is of Swedish descent so I had no choice :-)  The recipe easily doubles, but don't cook all in one pan or they will be too thick and difficult to handle. Cook in two batches, placing a towel over the first batch to keep warm or cook concurrently in two 9-10 inch cast iron skillets.  I've not done it but I imagine you could also cook as thin little rounds similar to regular pancakes, I just prefer the nice crispy edge you get from the cast iron skillet).

2 eggs
1 cup low fat milk
2 Tablespoons King Author's gluten free flour (or all purpose)
pinch xanthan gum (omit if using regular flour)
3/4  teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt (approx, like Mom I don't measure except by eyeballing what's in my hand)
1 Tablespoon melted butter 

Whisk eggs until very fluffy with a hand whisk,  Whisk in rest of ingredients.  Pour into a lightly oiled and pre-heated cast-iron skillet in a thin layer, over medium heat.  Cook until the edges are set and the top looks dry to the touch (several minutes, don't get anxious and raise the heat or they will burn), covering the pan the last 30 seconds for better browning.

It's ready to flip when you can cut into quarters and no batter runs out.  Flip each quarter and cook for two-three more minutes, covering the pan again for the last minute.  They are done when the inside is set and bottom is lightly browned. 

Serve with preserves.

Even if you eat the entire pancake yourself, it's less than 400 calories (plus jam) and very filling with the protein from the two eggs.  For my friend Carol, two quarters (pictured above) would be 5 Weight Watchers Points (plus jam).

1 comment:

  1. That looks a lot different than I expected. Tis the season to enjoy these types of foods!

    C

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Having been fortunate enough not to have to diet as a young woman - hitting middle age to find my Metabolism moved to Aruba and didn't even send a postcard was a rude awakening. Thanks for sharing the fun and the pain of getting back in shape. Note: If you are a stranger and include a link in your comment - it will not be posted, to ensure no SPAM or viruses are shared. Any link I post is tested first.