Saturday, March 3, 2018

Gluten Free Tea Bread

I have a close friend with Celiac so when we get together for coffee or tea I make sure I have some gluten-free paleo-friendly bread on hand bot both of us to enjoy with some butter and jam.  But so many of them taste really grainy or are very dry. So today I tried a couple of new recipes.  This was my favorite of what I tried.  The original recipe called for 1 cup almond flour plus 1/4 cup coconut flour, but I was out of almond.  This combination of substituting slightly less than half cup coconut flour, slightly more than half cup tapioca flour for the cup of almond flour worked REALLY well.

The texture is VERY good, soft and moist, not grainy.  It tastes like real bread with a nice crust. It's a quick bread, so no yeast so it doesn't rise really high but it would make a great breakfast or snack bread.  It also makes great toast! My "I hate gluten-free anything" husband had a piece after he saw it being sliced and gave me a thumbs up.

Gluten Free Tea Bread


Use a piece of parchment paper to line a bread pan with the sides going over the edges so you can easily lift the bread out after cooking. Next time I will use my slightly smaller bread pan so the bread is "taller".  This pan, which husband got in the UK is pretty big.  Preheat oven to 350 F.

3/4 cup coconut flour minus 1 Tablespoon
1/2 cup tapioca flour + 1 Tablespoon
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon Xanath gum
1 Tablespoon sugar or equivalent herbal sweetener
1/3 cup butter melted (let it cool slightly as you get things organized)
1 and 1/2 cups egg whites.  I used organic liquid eggs whites from Phils

If you have a bunch of yolks left make homemade


In a food processor pulse the dry ingredients a few times.

Pulse in the melted butter, scraping the sides of the bowl, it should look like wet crumbs

Whip eggs until soft peaks form with a hand or stand mixer (you can add a pinch of cream of tartar if it's taking too long).  Make sure you use a large clean and totally dry bowl.

Pulse half the eggs into the crumb mixture just a few times, scraping the sides of the bowl at least once (do NOT overmix)

Scrape contents of food processor into remaining egg whites and gently fold in.

Spread batter in prepared pan.  Bake 30 minutes, lightly drape with foil and cook an addition 10-12 minutes, checking for doneness with a toothpick.

4 comments:

  1. This is a really good recipe for paleo/keto (GF I think?) dinner rolls. We love them, though I think the recipe needs a touch of salt...
    https://www.heyketomama.com/the-best-keto-dinner-rolls/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never met a bread we didn't like!

    Keep Calm & Bark On!

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Having been fortunate enough not to have to diet as a young woman - hitting middle age to find my Metabolism moved to Aruba and didn't even send a postcard was a rude awakening. Thanks for sharing the fun and the pain of getting back in shape. Note: If you are a stranger and include a link in your comment - it will not be posted, to ensure no SPAM or viruses are shared. Any link I post is tested first.